Monday, March 26, 2007

Difference Between Leaders and Managers (10): Leadership Self Test


1. TRUE or FALSE:
I think more about immediate results than I do about mentoring others.

2. TRUE or FALSE:
People will be motivated if you pay them enough.

3. TRUE or FALSE:
It’s nice to know about people’s long-term goals, but not necessary to get the job done.

4. TRUE or FALSE:
If you have a consistent recognition system that rewards everyone in the same way, then that is enough.

5. TRUE or FALSE:
The best way to build a team is to set a group goal that is highly challenging, maybe even “crazy.”

6. TRUE or FALSE:
My greatest pleasure in my job comes from making the work process more effective.

7. TRUE or FALSE:
I spend more of my time and attention on my weaker performers than I do on my top performers, who basically take care of themselves.

8. TRUE or FALSE:
It’s better not to know anything about the personal lives and interests of the people who report to me.

9. TRUE or FALSE:
Sometimes, it’s almost as if I’m a “collector of people” because I’m always recruiting and getting to know new people.

10. TRUE or FALSE:
I like to surround myself with people who are better at what they do than I am.

11. TRUE or FALSE:
I am a lifelong student of what makes other people tick.

12. TRUE or FALSE:
People talk about “mission” too much – it’s best just to let people do their work and not try to bring values into the conversation.

13. TRUE or FALSE:
It’s my job to know everything that goes on in my area.

14. TRUE or FALSE:
I pay close attention to how and where I spend my time, because the priorities I put into action are the ones that other people will observe and follow.

15. TRUE or FALSE:
I’ve worked hard to get along with or understand people who are very different from me.


Answer key to this questionnaire will be posted tomorrow.


Copyright (c) 2003 by Dr. A. J. Schuler. Schuler is an expert in leadership and organizational change.
To find out more about his programs and services, visit www.SchulerSolutions.com or call (703) 370-6545.