Some belief there are 5 types of behavior to be associated with sustained success in an organization. Most of the time these behaviors are allocated to 'leaders':
- Challenging processes - Willing to challenge the way things are done; including the way in which they do things themselves.
- Inspiring a shared vision. Not only stating a vision, but also building peoples' understanding of, and commitment to, the vision.
- Enabling others. Ensuring that people are not only empowered to act, but creating an environment which releases their potential.
- Modelling the way. Acting as a consistent role model, demonstrating the behaviours others are being asked to display.
- Encouraging the Heart. Taking every opportunity to recognise and encourage others.
(Kouznes and Posner, 1998)